A reconsideration request is a formal appeal made by a website owner or webmaster to search engines, such as Google or Bing, asking them to reevaluate their site after being hit by a manual action or penalty.
This process typically involves correcting the issues that led to the penalty and demonstrating compliance with the search engine’s guidelines.
Reasons for Filing a Reconsideration Request
There are several reasons why a website owner might need to file a reconsideration request:
- Manual action or penalty imposed on the website
- Violation of search engine guidelines
- Removal of harmful backlinks or spammy content
Steps to Submit a Reconsideration Request
To submit a successful reconsideration request, follow these steps:
- Identify and correct the issues that caused the penalty: Thoroughly review the search engine’s guidelines to understand the reasons for the penalty. Address and fix all the issues on your website that violate these guidelines.
- Document the changes made to the website: Keep a record of all the changes and improvements made to your website to demonstrate compliance with search engine guidelines. This may include removing or disavowing harmful backlinks, deleting spammy content, or fixing technical issues.
- Submit the reconsideration request through the appropriate search engine’s webmaster tools: Once you have addressed the issues and documented the changes, submit your reconsideration request through the search engine’s webmaster tools, such as Google Search Console or Bing Webmaster Tools. Be transparent and provide a detailed explanation of the actions taken to resolve the issues.